Hometown: Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
Age: 77 Years
|Profession(s)||Politician and Social Activist|
|Known for||Becoming the 17th Governor of Manipur.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 177 cm
in meters– 1.77 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 10”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (1991-2019)|
|Political Journey||• Organizing Secretary of BJP
• National Secretary of BJP
• Vice President of BJP
• BJP’s State President of Tamil Nadu
• Rajya Sabha MP (2016-2018)
|Date of Birth||16 February 1945 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||77 Years|
|Birthplace||Tanjore district, Madras Presidency, British India (now Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu, India)|
|Nationality||British Indian (1945-1947)
|Hometown||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India|
|School||Veera Raghava High School, Thanjavur|
|Educational Qualification||12th standard Rajya Sabha’s official website|
|Address||18/37, Postal Colony, First Street, West Mambalam, Chennai – 600037|
|Controversies||• Remark on the Neduvasal village: In 2017, ONGC marked an area of ten kilometres in the Neduvasal village of Tamil Nadu for the extraction of methane and hydrocarbons. This led to an outbreak of protests against the marking done by the ONGC, as the land marked by the gas corporation included the ancestral land of the farmers who had been farming on the land for a very long time. In 2017, La Ganesan, as a Rajya Sabha MP, came in support of the ONGC and said that the corporation must be allowed to extract natural elements, which would benefit the nation. He, in a controversial statement, further said that “there is nothing wrong in sacrificing a state for the welfare of the country,” which was protested against by the farmers of Neduvasal. Hindustan Times
• Physical and verbal attacks on the BJP’s President: In 2020, BJP’s former Dalit President, Kirubanidhi, accused La Ganesan of physically and verbally attacking him. Kirubanidhi claimed that during the 2003 national party meeting at Indore, a heated discussion ensued over the utilisation of the party funds during which La Ganesan lost his temper and began hurling casteist slurs at Kirubanidhi. He further accused La Ganesan of physically assaulting him by twisting his arm behind his back, when Kirubanidhi tried to restrain La Ganesan from hurling slurs. Talking about the incident, Kirubanidhi told the media,
|Relationships & More|
Father– Lakshmi Raghava Iyer
Mother– Alamelu L
• L. Session (journalist)
• L. Narayanan (ex-employee of the state’s Telecom Department)
• L. Krishnamurthy (ex-state government employee)
|Salary (as Governor of Manipur)||Rs 3,50,000 + other allowances (as of July 2022) Jagran Josh|
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs 1,00,000
• Jewellery: Rs 75,000 MyNeta- La Ganesan
|Net Worth (as of 2014)||Rs 3,07,000 MyNeta- La Ganesan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About La. Ganesan
- La. Ganesan is an Indian activist, former BJP politician, and a former Rajya Sabha member. He is well-known for being the 17th governor of Manipur. On 18 July 2022, he was given an additional charge as the governor of West Bengal.
- In an interview, La Ganesan said that he could not pursue higher education because of the sudden death of his father, as a result of which he began working as a Revenue Settlement Inspector (RSI) in the state Revenue Department after completing his schooling.
- After working in the Revenue Department for nine years, La Ganesan resigned from his post and got enrolled in the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) Tamil Nadu as a pracharak.
- Working with the RSS was not new to La Ganesan as his family was involved in the propagation of the Sangh’s ideologies for a long time.
- La Ganesan was forced into hiding for a year in 1975 after his name was listed on the Tamil Nadu police’s wanted list for leading several underground movements against the declaration of emergency by the Indira Gandhi-led Indian government.
- In 1978, La Ganesan was made the Sangh’s district-in-charge in Tamil Nadu. In the following year, he was promoted and made a zonal-in-charge of the RSS.
- In 1981, La Ganesan, with the RSS, protested against the forceful conversion of more than a thousand Dalit Hindus to Islam at Meenakshipuram. In an interview, he claimed that his protest was aimed at protecting the interests of the Hindus. Rajbhavan.nic.in
- In March 1982, La Ganeshan worked as a mediator to peacefully resolve the issues that led to the Mandaikkadu communal riots. His efforts were appreciated by many national-level politicians.
- In 1991, La Ganesan side-stepped to the BJP from RSS, at a time, when he was serving the RSS as a Joint State Organizer (JSO).
- In the same year, as a new member of the BJP, La Ganesan was given the responsibility to strengthen the reach of the party in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- In the following years, La Ganesan held several important appointments in the party such as Organizing Secretary, National Secretary, Vice President, and the State President of Tamil Nadu.
- In 1991, La Ganesan was made a member of the BJP’s National Executive Committee (NEC). He remained a member of the committee till his appointment as the governor of Manipur in 2021.
- La Ganesan, in 2009 and 2014, contested in the Lok Sabha elections from Tamil Nadu, but he was unsuccessful in winning a seat as he was defeated both times by his rivals.
- In 2010, La Ganesan founded a non-political, literary organisation named Pottramarai. The organisation aims at recognising and encouraging the talents of Tamil artists, laureates, musicians, and artists all over the world.
- For his social activism, La Ganesan was nominated to the Rajya Sabha from the Bhopal constituency in October 2016. He remained a member of parliament until the end of 2018.
La Ganesan while participating in a debate at Rajya Sabha
- In 2021, President Ram Nath Kovind appointed La Ganesan as the 17th Governor of the state of Manipur and on 27 August 2021, La Ganesan took the governor’s oath.
La Ganesan while taking an oath as the 17th governor of Manipur
- La Ganesan, on 18 July 2022, took the additional charge of the governor of West Bengal.
La Ganesan taking oath as the acting Governor of West Bengal
- While giving an interview, La Ganesan said that he remained unmarried to serve the country and the RSS’ cause.
- La Ganesan claimed in an interview once that even after belonging to a political party with a different ideology, he respected the Communist leaders of India.
- La Ganesan in an interview said that he likes coffee over any other beverage.
- La Ganesan, in an interview, said that he composed many patriotic songs to protest against the declaration of an emergency by the Indira Gandhi-led central government in 1975.
- In an interview once La Ganesan said that during the emergency, he never directly and personally attacked the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi despite being forced by his peers to do so. La Ganesan told the media,
I protested against the crisis and also wrote songs. Even then I avoided the personal attacks and disrespectful speeches. I also tried to stop those chanting “Down with Indira Gandhi” and “Down with Indira Gandhi’s dictatorship!”
- Telling about his early morning routine, La Ganesan said in an interview that he used to get up at 4 in the morning and after a walk, he used to recite at least one chapter from the Hindu scripture, Bhagavad Gita.
- La Ganesan is the founder of Orey Nadu, a regional Tamil political magazine, which means “one nation.”
|↑1||Rajya Sabha’s official website|
|↑6, ↑7||MyNeta- La Ganesan|