Hometown: Ranchi, Jharkhand
Age: 42 Years
Height: 5′ 4″
|Known for||Creating history after winning the semifinal events of Lawn Bowl during the Commonwealth Games held at Birmingham, England in 2022|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 165 cm
in meters– 1.65 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 74 kg
in pounds– 163 lbs
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|National Coach||Madhukant Pathak|
|Date of Birth||3 August 1980 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||42 Years|
|Relationships & More|
Father– Name Not Known (an empolyee at the Central Mine Design Limited)
Mother– Name Not Known (homemaker)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Lovely Choubey
- Lovely Choubey is an Indian Lawn Bowl athlete. In 2022, she represented India in Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England and her team created history by reaching the semifinals of Lawn Bowl matches on 1 August 2022.
India 🤝Lawn Bowls
A new love story in the making? 🤞#CommonwealthGames | #B2022 pic.twitter.com/A5qF3ILmFc
— The Bridge (@the_bridge_in) August 1, 2022
- Before opting for Lawn Bowl sport, Lovely Choubey used to be a 100m sprinter. She shifted to a slow sport like Lawn Bowl due to injuries. Her father was a fourth-class employee who couldn’t afford the expenses of her sport, so her trainer put her into rigorous training that led to a severe injury in her hips. Soon, Lovely Choubey quit long jumping. Later, she was invited by Bihar’s then cricket umpire Madhukant Pathak to try out lawn bowls.
An Image of Madhukant Pathak
- Lovely Choubey was trained at the RK Anand Bowls Green Stadium in Ranchi.
Lawn Bowl team after reaching the semifinals of CWG 2022
- In 2008, Lovely Choubey made her national debut in which she bagged a gold medal. Upon winning a gold medal, she won an amount of Rs. 70k from the state government. In a conversation with a media house, Lovely stated that this monetary award motivated her to continue with the sport in 2008. She said,
I got into Lawn Bowls in 2008 after leaving athletics. I won Rs 70000 in a national event and told myself I could continue with this.”
- In 2013, Lovely Choubey won a gold medal in mixed pairs in an Asia Pacific Lawn Bowl tournament.
- Lovely Choubey participated in the 2014 Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow, SCO and competed in Women’s Triples and Women’s Fours events and was ranked in 3rd Pool and 4th Pool, respectively. In the same year, she clinched two silver medals in Women’s Pairs and Singles at the 10th Asian Lawn Bowls Championships.
- In 2018, she earned a commendable 5th-placed finish at Gold Coast, Australia.
- Once, Indian cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni visited their training centre in Ranchi and had a meeting with lovely and her teammates. In a media conversation, Lovely Choubey narrated that Dhoni talked about his love for the Lawn Bowl sport. She said,
Dhoni sir knows our coach in Ranchi and has come to see us at the greens twice over the years. We have a Dewri Mata temple closeby, when he goes there he comes to see us as well. We had a chat about the sport as well. He said whenever he is in Australia he goes to play Lawn Bowls.”
- Later, Lovely Choubey was appointed as a constable in the Jharkhand police force by the state government.
- In 2022, during the commonwealth games in England, Lovely Choubey created history after entering the final match of the event along with her three teammates, which included Nayanmoni Saikia, Pinki Singh, and Rupa Rani Tirkey. On 1 August 2022, they won the semifinal match of Lawn Bowl against New Zealand to enter the final.
Lovely Choubey with her teammates at CWG 2022