Mohit Grewal is a well-known Indian wrestler. In 2022, he came into the limelight after he competed in the Commonwealth Games organised in Birmingham, England. During the CWG trials, he beat Indian wrestler Satender Malik in the final match of the GWG trials and attracted controversy after Satendra Malik opposed the decision of the referee.
Mohit Grewal was born in 1999 (age 22 years; as of 2022) in Village Bamla, District Bhiwani, Haryana. Soon after completing his school education, he joined the Department of Physical and Sports at Chaudhary Bansi Lal University to pursue a graduate degree in physical education.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 125 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Jagbir Grewal, and he works as an inspector in the Haryana Police.
He is not married.
In his initial period of career, Mohit Grewal competed in the All India Inter University Wrestling Championship and Khelo India wrestling championships and won several medals and accolades. He started taking wrestling training in local akharas in 2012. He then participated in the World School Championship in Turkey and bagged a gold medal in 2016.
Mohit being welcomed by his family members after winning a gold medal in 2016
In 2018, he participated in the Junior Asian Championships and clinched a gold medal. In the years 2019 and 2020, he did not participate in any wrestling championships due to his knee injury. According to Mohit Grewal, he was suffering mental trauma when he was suffering from injury. In a media interview, he said explained his injury. He said,
I suffered patellar tendinitis (an injury to the tendon connecting the kneecap to the shin bone) and 70 per cent of my ligament got damaged.”
In 2021, he competed in the Senior National Championships, and he entered the finals by defeating his opponent from Haryana. However, he lost the final match of the championships to Shivraj of Maharashtra. Earlier, he was the recipient of the gold medal in the U-23 National Championships and was the winner of the bronze medal in the play-off at the U-23 World Championships. In 2021, he participated in the U-23 national championships and bagged a gold medal. In the same year, he competed for a bronze medal in a playoff at the U-23 World Championships in Belgrade, Serbia. He then participated in the senior national championships of the country and bagged a silver medal in the finals.
Mohit Grewal after winning a gold medal in 2021
In June 2022, he participated in the senior international tournament organised in Almaty (Kazakhstan) and entered the semifinals of the championships by defeating his opponent Salim Ercan from Turkey by 6-1. He lost the semifinals of the tournament to Kazakhstan Yusup Batirmurzaev of Tokyo by 10-0. He won a bronze medal after defeating his Uzbek opponent Sardorbek Kholmatov by 8-2 in a play-off match. Mohit Grewal mentioned in a media conversation that everyone had stopped talking about his controversy after he won a bronze medal in Almaty (Kazakhstan) tournaments. he said,
It (medal) silenced everyone. Before the tournament, everyone was talking about that controversy but everything has changed now.”
Mohit Grewal after winning a bronze
In 2022, he attracted controversy during the selection trials of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) when he defeated Indian wrestler Satender Malik in the final match but the decision by the referee Jagbir Singh was opposed by Satender Malik after the announcement of the results. Consequently, a fight ensued between Satender Malik and referee Jagbir Singh. Mohit was dragged in the viral video of the incident.
Mohit Grewal clicked during a CWG selection trials brawl in 2022
He owns a Ducati bike.
Mohit Grewal with his bike
He owns a Royal Enfield.
Mohit Grewal on his Royal Enfield
- Reportedly, his father and grandfather were noted Indian wrestlers who used to represent India in several National Wrestling championships.
- Mohit Grewal is a part of the Virender National Academy in Haryana.
- Mohit Grewal frequently shares pictures and videos on various social media platforms. On Instagram, he has over 1k followers.
- Mohit Grewal is an avid dog lover. He has a pet dog named Andy. He regularly posts pictures of his pet dog on social media.
Mohit Grewal with his pet dog
- Apart from being a wrestler, Mohit Grewal is also a swimming and judo champion. He was a national-level champion in swimming during his school days. In a media conversation, Mohit stated that he used to compete in the 50m butterfly competition in swimming and clinched several medals in junior national judo championships. He said,
I competed in the 50m butterfly in school nationals. Besides, I had also won medals in junior national judo championships. However, wrestling was my priority from the beginning. The bronze medal in the junior Asian Championships in 2018 made it easy for me to leave out everything for wrestling.”
- According to some media sources, Mohit Grewal is a third-generation wrestler in his family. In 2021, in an interview with a media house, Mohit disclosed that his uncle Virendra Singh was a recipient of the Bhim Award from the Haryana Government. His uncle used to win several medals at the national-level wrestling championships. He added in the same discussion that his elder uncles Rajpal Singh was also a noted wrestler, and his other uncle, Shripal Grewal was posted as an Assistant Sub Inspector in Haryana Police was once wrestled at the national level championships. Suresh, another uncle of Mohit, works as a national-level wrestling coach in Haryana.