Sippy Sidhu aka Sukhmanpreet Singh Talwandi (1980-2015) was an Indian national-level rifle shooter and a Corporate Lawyer. Sippy Sidhu was shot dead at a park in Sector 27 in Chandigarh on 20 September 2015. Kalyani Singh, his former rumoured girlfriend is alleged of being involved in the murder case.
Sukhmanpreet Singh Sidhu was born on Thursday, 18 December 1980 (age 35 years; at the time of death) in Patiala, Punjab. His zodiac sign was Sagittarius. Sippy Sidhu attended Yadavindra Public School, Patiala, Doon International School, Ajitgarh, Punjab, St Joseph’s Senior Secondary School, Bathinda, Punjab, and The Punjab Public School Nabha, Punjab. He graduated with a Bachelor of Legislative Law (LLB) )) degree from Punjabi University, Patiala, Punjab.
Sippy Sidhu’s childhood picture
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Sippy Sidhu’s father, Inder Pal Singh Sidhu, was the additional advocate general of Punjab.
Sippy Sidhu with his father
His mother, Deepinder Kaur, is a homemaker.
Sippy Sidhu and his mother
Sippy had a younger brother, Jasman Preet Singh Sidhu aka Jippy Sidhu, who works as a legal adviser to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
Sippy Sidhu’s mother and brother
Sippy Sidhu with his parents and brother
Sippy Sidhu’s grandfather’s name is Justice SS Sidhu who was a former Punjab and Haryana high court judge.
A childhood picture of Sippy Sidhu with his grandfather (right) and father (left)
Reportedly, it was rumoured that Sippy Sidhu was in a relationship with Kalyani Singh, daughter of Sabina Singh, the acting Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh. Kalyani Singh is a lecturer at Chandigarh college. Sippy Sidhu’s family had close relations with Kalyani’s family and both knew each other since childhood.
Sippy Sidhu and Kalyani Singh
Sippy Sidhu’s resided in 3B2, Mohali, Ajitgarh, Punjab.
Sippy Sidhu was a national-level rifle shooter.
Sippy Sidhu while practising shooting at a shooting range
While he was in university, Sippy Sidhu represented Punjab at several shooting competitions for more than 15 years and had won various medals.
Sippy Sidhu with Gagan Narang
On the basis of sports quota, Sippy Sidhu got posted in the Punjab Police Department.
Sippy Sidhu while serving in the Punjab Police
But, he aspired to be a lawyer. In order to fulfil his career aspirations, he took a three-year leave from his job in the Police department and pursued a degree in law. Sippy Sidhu was the owner of ‘Sippy Sidhu Law Firm’, which has its operational office in Mohali, Punjab.
A picture of Sippy Sidhu working at his office
On 20 September 2015, Sippy Sidhu was shot dead at a Sector 27 park in Chandigarh. His rumoured girlfriend, Kalyani Singh is accused of her involvement in the murder case. As per reports, the investigations revealed that one unknown assailant was accompanied by Kalyani Singh, who killed Sippy by using a gun as four bullets were fired from it. On 21 September 2015, a local resident witnessed his body in the park and informed the police. Kalyani Singh was arrested on 15 June 2022 for her involvement in the murder of Sippy Sidhu. He is cremated at Cremation Ground, Paschim Marg, Sector 25 West, Chandigarh.
- Sippy Sidhu participated in shooting competitions along with the famous Indian shooter Abhinav Bindra. He won a gold medal along with Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra in the Punjab National Games in 2001.
Sippy Sidhu in the National Games
- Sippy Sidhu had a keen interest in sports since his childhood. He actively participated in Football and Cricket matches during his school and college days.
- Sippy Sidhu was appointed as the joint secretary of the Paralympic Committee of India. Sippy Sidhu organised various events in order to encourage youngsters to participate in sports.
- Sidhu Sippy was shot dead at a Sector 27 park in Chandigarh on 20 September 2015. While interrogation, Sippy’s mother accused a girl named Kalyani Singh of her son’s murder. Sippy’s mother mentioned that the police were hesitant to question Kalyani as she is the daughter of Sabina Singh, the acting Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and even misused her power to protect her daughter from the murder case. In an interview, Sippy Sidhu’s mother said,
I cannot forget him even for a second and will fight for justice till I am alive. The day he was murdered, Sippy had told me that Kalyani wanted to meet him. Ever since the murder, we have been saying that she is involved in killing my son, as we turned down her marriage proposal. She killed him,”
- Sippy Sidhu’s brother Jasman Preet Singh Sidhu, in an interview, revealed his family relations with Kalyani’s family and said,
My late grandfather, Justice SS Sidhu, was a former Punjab and Haryana high court judge and late father, IPS Sidhu, was the additional advocate general of Punjab. We had close relations with Kalyani’s family and she knew Sippy since childhood. But we refused her marriage proposal owing to her relationships with others. We had clearly told this to her family, but could have never imagined that it will result in Sippy’s murder.”
- Sippy’s brother Jasman Preet accused Kalyani Singh and her family of creating false evidence. In an interview, he said,
We will be pressing for justice Sabina’s impeachment, as her daughter is a prime suspect in a murder case, so how can she be expected to deliver justice. We will be meeting the Union law minister to also seek action against her for shielding her daughter and creating false evidence. Kalyani’s family had supported her alibi that she was at a birthday party when the murder took place, despite evidence that she was present at the park,”
- As per the reports, at the time of the murder, a Maruti Zen car was spotted at the place with its last four digits “1183”.
- In 2015, Sippy Sidhu’s friends and family members organised various justice marches and candle marches in order to seek justice for him.
A Justice March for Sippy Sidhu
- As per the investigation reports, Kalyani had contacted Sippy Sidhu on 18 September 2015 through a mobile phone of another person and compelled him to meet her in the park in Sector 27, Chandigarh. Kalyani Singh and Sippy Sidhu had met between 18 September to 20 September, the same night he was murdered.
- On 22 January 2016, a CBI probe was recommended by the Chandigarh administration in Sidhu Sippy’s murder case. Later, the case was handled by CBI. In September 2016, CBI announced a monetary reward of Rs 5 lakh for providing any credible and relevant information in the murder case. In December 2016, the reward was increased to Rs 10 lakh.
A poster of reward for Sippy Sidhu’s murderer
- On 15 June 2022, Kalyani Singh was arrested from her house in Sector 42, Chandigarh by the CBI in connection with the murder case. As per the reports by CBI, Kalyani Singh was found misleading and deceptive in Sippy’s murder case. In an interview, CBI revealed Kalyani’s intention behind the murder and said,
She wanted to marry him but her proposal was turned down by Sippy’s family. Sippy had leaked her objectionable photos to her parents and friends, which had caused embarrassment to Kalyani and her family.Certain lapses have been found on the part of Inspector Poonam Dilawari, then SHO of the Sector 26 police station, and Guriqbal Singh Sidhu, then ASP, in the destruction of evidence.”